BenefitsProfiles offer the following benefits to Tiki:
- Managed in wiki pages (collaborative, version history, etc.)
- Can be used not only on a fresh install of a Tiki, but also on an existing instance.
- Apply one or many, even if they overlap (the last one applied wins if there are any conflicts)
- Profiles can include other profiles (several small profiles making a large one)
- Not just for settings, but also for data
- Since there is no extra code, can be designed for very specific, long tail uses or Vertical Markets. We can have hundreds of profiles for a out-of-the-box experience, with a single code-base!
- Permits power users & admins to share their experience
- Can even be used to support reporting of bugs
How it WorksEach profile is a configuration patch that can be applied on top of any Tiki instance. Profiles will allow to change configurations in a Tiki instance and create various objects. As of now, the most important object types are available and more will be added as needed.
Profiles include Handlers for the following:
- Any of over 1000 preferences (features, settings and options)
- Groups & permissions (over 200 permissions)
- Modules (over 100!)
- Webservice & Plugin Alias
- Sample content & additional configurations for
- File Gallery
Obtaining ProfilesProfiles are stored in repositories on the Internet. Tiki comes with one repository registered for you and you can add more as you like. Profiles are applied directly from the repositories; you simply browse the profiles available at each repository and apply the ones you want.
Profiles can also be applied at any time after Tiki is installed by following these steps:
- Log into Tiki as an administrator
- Open the Administration page (click the "Admin Home" link in the menu)
- Click on the Profiles link
- Show profiles available in the registered repositories by clicking List. You can filter the list of profiles by name, type and repository if you like.
- Click on the name of the profile you want to apply. Details about that profile will be obtained from the repository and displayed for your review.
- Click the Apply Now button